Thursday 12 July 2007

Beatdom Update

It's going well...

The original vision of the editors was a collection of historical and literary studies, and essays drawing links between their world and ours.
But here we are, only weeks on, with artists, photographers, interviews, random stuff... But it's all good. There's nothing going to be in the magazine that doesn't deserve to be there.

Right now I have edited together 41 pages, using Adobe Pagemaker. It's basic, and there will be a LOT of improvement in the coming month and a half, but it's not bad. Everything is very simple, and some of the features and articles ain't finished yet... But it's something to work from, and it's pretty promising.
We have a 5,000 word MySpace interview conducted with Steve McAllister, author of The Rucksack Letters, articles on Beat Books, Beat Tales, Bob Kaufman, a feature on Buddhism and the Beats, a guide to Beat figures, photography of Buddhist direction, poetry, a short story, collages, fake advertisement for William S Burroughs' crack...
Oh, I'm pleased about this. I plan on putting together a one hundred page rough draft and whoring it out to investors, then spending a month putting a proper version together for sale.
The reason there is an end of August deadline for going to the presses is because I'm off to California to work on a farm as part of the WWOOF program. For three months I'll toil my heart out, before returning to the UK in December, in time for Christmas, New Year, and the second edition of Beatdom. Hopefully my travels will provide me with some On the Road experience to infuse the next issue with.
Of course, I'll keep you informed of when each issue is available to buy...

No comments: